If you want to know how to start a comic book (but seriously don鈥檛 know where to begin), this week鈥檚 interview with illustrator, Ryan Onorato, should give you all the steps you need to get going.
Having recently completed his first comic series, the wonderfully bizarre Pizza Tree, he鈥檚 got plenty of great advice to share about promoting yourself at comic conventions, networking with people who can help, and that pesky dilemma of juggling a full-time job with making art.
So, if you鈥檝e spent the past year talking about making a comic book (but never actually got round to actually, y鈥檏now, doing it), then this interview just might be the motivation you鈥檝e been looking for.
And, if learning how to start a comic book has always been high on your list of artistic achievements, then there鈥檚 never been a better time to start putting those words into action.
Because, even if you only have two hours to spare each night, you鈥檒l be amazed at what you can actually get done – just ask Ryan.
How to Start a Comic Book – Straightforward Advice From Ryan Onorato
鈥淭ake the time and get at least one book done for yourself, because I just think it鈥檚 more impactful. When you go to these cons and you want to talk to people, if you hand them a finished book rather than a script or inked pages, that finished product is definitely something that鈥檒l be an ace in your pocket.鈥滭br /> ~ Ryan Onorato.
Highlights From This Interview:
- How to develop your own creative style while still being influenced by other artists
- How to take inspiration for your comic book from the things which interest you most
- Why networking and making contacts with other creatives can help make your project happen
- How Ryan鈥檚 first job at a screenprinting studio influenced his current work
- How to set yourself soft deadlines to get your project off the ground
- Why overcoming your shyness could be crucial to your success as an artist
- How to handle rejection and never, ever let it stop you in your tracks
We hope this week’s聽interview with Ryan Onorato gives you the motivation you need to learn how to start a comic book.
Perhaps you’ve got a great idea for a comic you’ve been meaning to get started on? Tell us about it in the comments section below – we’d love to hear from you!
People on this Episode:
Links From聽This Episode:
Thanks for listening to our show! We鈥檒l be back next Wednesday morning 8AM EST.
The Pencil Kings podcast is sponsored by Freshbooks – small business accounting software for artists and creatives.