Want to know how to break into comics?
Whether you鈥檝e always wanted to write a graphic novel or illustrate pages for Marvel, DC or any other publishing house, this week鈥檚 podcast with Michael Dolce, creator of The Sire, has got the blueprint you need to get your project off the ground.
Having successfully launched numerous titles on Kickstarter and worked with a team of fellow artists over the years, he鈥檚 got plenty of experience in the industry and advice to share.
He鈥檚 been through all the highs and lows of breaking into the comics industry, from reaching out to publishers and handling rejection through to fine-tuning your passion project and seeing it sell in droves.
And now, in this revealing and insightful interview, he鈥檚 sharing his own action plan for success with you.
You鈥檒l learn how he developed the concepts behind his comics and networked with other artists to help bring his projects, such as The Sire, Descendant and many other titles, to life.
And, you鈥檒l also discover how to market yourself as an artist and attract a large following for your work by making sure your art gets seen by the right people.
How to Break Into Comics – Your 3-step Guide From Michael Dolce
鈥淵ou don鈥檛 need a publisher now to be successful. You don鈥檛 need the 鈥榞atekeepers鈥 any more. You don鈥檛 need to worry about the 鈥榞atekeepers鈥 any more. 鈥 ~ Michael Dolce
Highlights From This Interview:
- How to self-publish your comics through funding campaigns on Kickstarter and Patreon
- Why it鈥檚 so important to make others aware of what you鈥檙e working on as an artist
- Why networking is such a huge factor in developing your career as an artist
- The realities of creating your own comic book and successfully launching your project
- Why it鈥檚 so important to see your art career as a business and think like an entrepreneur
- How to handle rejection and keep ploughing on regardless
- Why Mike鈥檚 radio show and podcast, Secrets of The Sire, now attracts major-league guests
- How to find other artists to work with…even if you have no connections
We hope this week’s聽interview with Michael Dolce helps you learn more about how to break into comics…even if you’re only just starting out as an artist.
Have you got any great ideas for a graphic novel or comic book you’re just itching to get started on? We’d love to hear about them in the comments section below!
People on this Episode:
Links From聽This Episode:
Thanks for listening to our show! We鈥檒l be back next Wednesday morning 8AM EST.
The Pencil Kings podcast is sponsored by Freshbooks – small business accounting software for artists and creatives.